Thursday, June 18, 2009

Natures Serenity Photography Feature

Natures Serenity Photography
I decided to feature this next artist because well first off she is spectacular, passionate about her art and a really great person. How do I know about the last point? Because she is my sister! She is an amazing photographer and that does not even come close to what a great person she is! I have had the answers to her questions for awhile but I wanted to do her justice so I hesitated about what to write. Finally I decided to just lay out the questions and answers she gave in its raw form so you can discover this amazing artist for yourself.

1. Tell me as much or as little about yourself as you feel comfortable with.
My name is Laura Odland, I am 1 of 5 daughters to two wonderful parents. I have recently moved to BC to finish my Tourism education, specializing in Adventure Tourism. My passions are photography, nature, wildlife and the ocean.
2. What inspires you?
Family, beauty, tranquility, serenity, the perfect light, nature and wildlife. This includes so many things a beautiful day that fills me with serenity, a foggy day that feels mysterious, the scents and sounds of the forest or ocean.
3. If you could trade places with someone for one day, who would that be?
Michael "Nick" Nichols or Art Wolfe, both professional Wildlife Photographers. Traveling to new locations to capture wildlife in their natural habitats. From a colourful bird in Costa Rica, to the Arctic Fox in the Yukon, to the Lion of the African Savannahs or my own backyard to capture the awe inspiring Orca.
4. How would you describe your craft/style?
My style is always changing, right now it is spur of the moment - not calculated. I always have my camera with me because I never know when I will see something that captures my imagination. I occasionally go out on planned photo shoots but most of the time it is what I see in my journey through life. It is often impatient, which I am trying to work on. With wildlife you often have to be very patient.
5. How long have you been creating?
I believe it has been 3 years now.
6. Is this your job or a hobby?
Right now this is my hobby. I have created a small business and have gone to craft shows but it is still mostly a hobby at this point. But it is also my life.
7. What are you goals for the future regarding your craft?
My dream career would be a professional wildlife photographer. Traveling to new, off the beaten path places capturing their wildlife on camera for others to witness. Right now my goals are to finish school, go into a partnership or start my own marine tour company. While out there showing others the beauty of the ocean, I will be able to continue to photograph all the beauty nature has to offer. Maybe one day people will be using my name to describe the epitome of photography.
8. What advice do you have for fellow crafters trying to sell their craft?
Be patient and proactive. To start take your craft to craft shows, festivals and markets. When you do this you open the door to people who may never and would never have a chance to see your craft.
Please check her out and show her some love - you will not regret it!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you for the beautiful words Sherri!!

Lots of Love,
Laura

SecondChanceChicken said...

traveling and taking photos...why didn't I think of that when I went to college????

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin